Of course, free solar panels from the junkyard are one thing, but I’m talking free solar panels of the highest quality. SunPower* — manufacturer of the most efficient, most reliable, most durable solar panels — is running a promotional sweepstakes right now in which one lucky person can win some free solar panels worth $16,000.
To be eligible to win the sweepstakes, you have to own a home in California, New York, Hawaii, Arizona, or Colorado. The form to enter the sweepstakes is super simple, so give it a shot if you are eligible.
More info on the sweepstakes can be found here.
Go Solar without the Free Solar Panels
1. Solar panel prices have dropped considerable in recent years, 80% since 2008. They are now so low that solar power is competing with the cheapest electricity options in countries around the world.
2. A US federal tax credit will cover 30% of the cost of your solar power system… as long as you have enough tax liability to take advantage of that. Alternatively, if you go solar via a lease of power purchase agreement, the company selling solar power to you may be able to take advantage of the tax credit and pass the savings on to you.
3. Aside from the federal tax credit, there are many state and local government and utility incentives for solar power.
4. All told, the average homeowner who goes solar in the US ends up savings tens of thousands of dollars over the course of a couple decades, if not much sooner.
5. If you ever decide to sell your home, studies have shown that solar power can increase the value more than even the value of the solar system.
6. If you also get an electric car, you can drive it on sunshine… and really save a ton of money.
7. Of course, going solar helps the planet, protects lives and human health, increases our energy independence and security, and creates jobs in your local community and nation (there are almost 150,000 solar jobs in the US today).
Why I Love SunPower
As noted below, I’ve invested in SunPower. And I plan to invest more in the company in the future. The solar power industry is one of the most important industries in the world, and it is also one of the fastest growing — both are good reasons to invest in the industry. Within the industry, SunPower is a clear leader.
As noted at the top, SunPower’s solar panels are the most efficient on the market, the more durable on the market, and the most reliable on the market. SunPower also offers the greatest power output guarantee, under a market-leading 25-year warranty. Founded almost 30 years, SunPower has been a leader for decades, and it seems that it just keeps building on its leadership. I also love that it openly and without prejudice offers solar power via home solar loans as well as solar leasing. It’s hard not to love this company.
As noted earlier today, SunPower aims to triple its solar manufacturing capacity. With a new solar panel system being installed every 3.2 seconds or so in the US, and similar or even stronger growth in other countries around the world, there will be a lot of winners in the solar marketplace, but I expect SunPower will really do well.
If you have a chance to win some free solar panels from SunPower, that’s a nice gift. It’s not just $16,000 you’d save, but very likely $50,000 or so. Even back in 2011 (when solar prices were much higher), the average 20-year savings of a homeowner who went solar were projected to be: $34,000+ in California, $31,000+ in New York, $24,000+ in Colorado, nearly $33,000 in Arizona, and nearly $65,000 in Hawaii! I mean, it’s not a million dollars, but it’s something. 😉
For more on solar power in general… oh yeah, that’s what this site is all about!
*This article has been supported by SunPower. Also, I own SunPower stock (like I said, it’s one of my favorite solar companies).
All images courtesy SunPower.